16th December 2020

BOC & BRC REFUNDS

Please note that we are requesting that all individual entrants and club captains make an explicit decision regarding the level of donation they wish to make (max, a specific custom value or none). To action your decision you need to access your Fabian4 BOC 2020 entry details. You should have received an email recently with “BOC 2020/2021 Weekend … CANCELLED” in the subject. If you can’t find it check your spam folder. If you still can’t find it contact support@fabian4.co.uk asking for the link.

 

16th December 2020

BOC & BRC CANCELLATION

Unfortunately, the SEOA will not be able to hold BOC 2021 at the start of March 2021 as we had hoped.

Although we successfully obtained permission from Hollycombe and all the significant landowners to stage BOC on 6/7 March 2021, Hollycombe have recently received a grant towards improvements to make the attraction COVID compliant for a May 2021 opening and due to envisaged work, including to the entrance road, they have reluctantly recently withdrawn their approval. We have sought alternative parking arrangements in the last few weeks but to no avail.

We also face increasing uncertainty that the event will be able to go ahead anyway due to, amongst other issues, the now distinct possibility that COVID restrictions will need to be in place in the first three months of 2021, despite the recent news of a vaccine for the UK.

As a consequence, in conjunction with British Orienteering and SEOA, we have decided that there is nothing to be gained by pursuing the staging of the event at this time.

We will be making a refund to all participants of all entry fees minus the Fabian4 costs of processing entries and the refunds. Please allow about 14 days for the refunds to reach the card that you used to enter the event.

Given that the original cancellation of BOC and BRC 2020 was only one week before the event date, significant non-recoverable costs had already been incurred. Other than the mapping costs, which will be split 50:50 between British Orienteering and SEOA, British Orienteering will be covering these non-recoverable costs in full. British Orienteering therefore stands to incur a significant loss from the event.

As an alternative to taking a refund, there will be an option to make a partial or full donation to orienteering, which would be split 50:50 between British Orienteering and The Orienteering Foundation; the latter will attribute any monies donated to an appeal on behalf of the Junior Regional Orienteering Squads. We will not be able to accommodate differing splits of any donated money but if you would like to donate the refund at a different split or to other charitable causes, you can do so by opting for the refund to come to you in its entirety and donating separately after its receipt.

We are requesting that all entrants make an explicit decision regarding the level of donation they wish to make (max, a specific custom value or none). To action your decision please:

  1. Click the link at the bottom of the email you will have received from Fabian4 to view your entry details
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page
  3. Select your donation option
  4. If you selected a specific donation enter the amount you wish to donate
  5. If you are donating something then specify whether we can apply gift aid to your donation (for the Orienteering Foundation element)
  6. Confirm cancellation with the refund specified

Please make your selection before midnight on Sunday 20th December 2020.

We know from our efforts earlier this year that we have the potential to put on a BOC on that area at relatively short notice were circumstances to improve significantly. If and when that may be is a big unknown as it will also depend on the position with other Major Events.

We appreciate that this will be very disappointing news but possibly not overly surprising to you. Thank you for entering BOC 2020 and apologies that we are not able to hold the event. We hope that we will be able to schedule an event on this large and very runnable area, new to orienteering, in the not too distant future.

Helen Errington and Andrew Evans

16 December 2020

 

16th March 2020

BOC 2020 POSTPONED DUE TO THE SITUATION WITH REGARD TO COVID-19

Since the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak we have been closely monitoring the situation and trying to understand its impacts. As Weekend Coordinators and in conjunction with British Orienteering we have now decided that the British Championships should not take place over the weekend 21st/22nd March. 

We have commenced discussions with land owners and others to see whether we can reschedule the event to the Autumn. Initial indications are encouraging and further news on this will be made available as soon as we can do so. We will hold off making any refunds until our future plans are clearer.

We regret that we are unable to run the event this weekend and hope to be able to stage it later in the year.

Helen Errington and Andrew Evans