16th December 2020
BOC & BRC REFUNDS
Please note that we are requesting that all individual entrants and club captains make an explicit decision regarding the level of donation they wish to make (max, a specific custom value or none). To action your decision you need to access your Fabian4 BOC 2020 entry details. You should have received an email recently with “BOC 2020/2021 Weekend … CANCELLED” in the subject. If you can’t find it check your spam folder. If you still can’t find it contact email@example.com asking for the link.
16th December 2020
BOC & BRC CANCELLATION
Unfortunately, the SEOA will not be able to hold BOC 2021 at the start of March 2021 as we had hoped.
Although we successfully obtained permission from Hollycombe and all the significant landowners to stage BOC on 6/7 March 2021, Hollycombe have recently received a grant towards improvements to make the attraction COVID compliant for a May 2021 opening and due to envisaged work, including to the entrance road, they have reluctantly recently withdrawn their approval. We have sought alternative parking arrangements in the last few weeks but to no avail.
We also face increasing uncertainty that the event will be able to go ahead anyway due to, amongst other issues, the now distinct possibility that COVID restrictions will need to be in place in the first three months of 2021, despite the recent news of a vaccine for the UK.
As a consequence, in conjunction with British Orienteering and SEOA, we have decided that there is nothing to be gained by pursuing the staging of the event at this time.
We will be making a refund to all participants of all entry fees minus the Fabian4 costs of processing entries and the refunds. Please allow about 14 days for the refunds to reach the card that you used to enter the event.
Given that the original cancellation of BOC and BRC 2020 was only one week before the event date, significant non-recoverable costs had already been incurred. Other than the mapping costs, which will be split 50:50 between British Orienteering and SEOA, British Orienteering will be covering these non-recoverable costs in full. British Orienteering therefore stands to incur a significant loss from the event.
As an alternative to taking a refund, there will be an option to make a partial or full donation to orienteering, which would be split 50:50 between British Orienteering and The Orienteering Foundation; the latter will attribute any monies donated to an appeal on behalf of the Junior Regional Orienteering Squads. We will not be able to accommodate differing splits of any donated money but if you would like to donate the refund at a different split or to other charitable causes, you can do so by opting for the refund to come to you in its entirety and donating separately after its receipt.
We are requesting that all entrants make an explicit decision regarding the level of donation they wish to make (max, a specific custom value or none). To action your decision please:
Please make your selection before midnight on Sunday 20th December 2020.
We know from our efforts earlier this year that we have the potential to put on a BOC on that area at relatively short notice were circumstances to improve significantly. If and when that may be is a big unknown as it will also depend on the position with other Major Events.
We appreciate that this will be very disappointing news but possibly not overly surprising to you. Thank you for entering BOC 2020 and apologies that we are not able to hold the event. We hope that we will be able to schedule an event on this large and very runnable area, new to orienteering, in the not too distant future.
Helen Errington and Andrew Evans
16 December 2020
16th March 2020
BOC 2020 POSTPONED DUE TO THE SITUATION WITH REGARD TO COVID-19
Message from the Organisers:
As you are aware, since the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak we have been closely monitoring the situation and trying to understand its impacts. As Weekend Coordinators and in conjunction with British Orienteering we have now decided that the British Championships should not take place this coming weekend.
We have commenced discussions with land owners and others to see whether we can reschedule the event to the Autumn. Initial indications are encouraging and further news on this will be made available as soon as we can do so. We will hold off making any refunds until our future plans are clearer.
We regret that we are unable to run the event this weekend and hope to be able to stage it later in the year.
Helen Errington and Andrew Evans
16 March 2020
13th March 2020
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION WITH REGARD TO COVID-19
The UK Government has indicated that “banning large gatherings is one of the least effective measures a country can take”. With this in mind and after careful review, the Organisers have decided to proceed with the event.
However, you must NOT come to the British Championships or British Relays if you fall into one of the following categories:
We have also put some mitigations and changes in place:
12th March 2020
EVENT PROGRAMME AVAILABLE
Version 1 of the Event Programme is now available here
9th March 2020
START TIMES FOR INDIVIDUAL ENTRIES AVAILABLE
Start time for Individual Entries are now available on Fabian4:
7th March 2020
RELAY ENTRIES STILL OPEN
Relay Entries will remain open for one more week, until 15th March
6th March 2020
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE
British Orienteering wishes to reassure all competitors, volunteers and spectators that the safety of all attending our events is a priority. We are aware of the concerns surrounding the current Coronavirus outbreak and are regularly reviewing our processes and procedures and staying up to date on government advice.
As at the 5th March 2020, the British Championships and the British Relay Championships over the weekend of the 21st & 22nd March 2020 are due to take place. However this is a developing situation and British Orienteering will provide further updates on the status of all and any events as and when new advice is published or if we are required to change our approach to our event delivery.
https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/news/5088 has full details, as does the BOC2020 website. In particular, please check that you have not travelled to any country during a time period that would now preclude you from taking part in the event (note that the list of countries has been extended since entries closed). Further details can be found on the COVID-19 page of this website
Please notify the Entries Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if you have any doubts as to whether you should take part. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday 21st March.
24th February 2020
For 1 more week only, individual entries have been re-opened. Will close finally on the 1st March 2020. Enter now before it is too late.
21st February 2020
CORONAVIRUS RELATED RESTRICTIONS
Based on the latest advice from Public Health England, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public to limit the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the BOC2020 organisers in discussion with British Orienteering have decided we cannot allow anyone to participate in or attend BOC 2020 who has travelled from or via the following countries in the 14 days leading up to the event (6th March – 20th March 2020): China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau. We will offer a full refund to anyone who has already entered the event as of the date of this notice who this affects, and therefore they can no longer attend. We would urge anyone to whom this applies to retain boarding passes and get in touch with the BOC Entries Secretary Nigel Saker (email@example.com), regarding an entry refund.
17th February 2020
RELAY COURSE DETAILS PUBLISHED
Details of the Relay courses with provisional lengths etc can now be found on the Relay page
15th February 2020
ONE WEEK UNTIL INDIVIDUAL ENTRIES CLOSE
We have over 1100 entries to date. But this is a reminder that Individual Entries close on Sunday 23rd February. Remember to ensure that you have renewed your British Orienteering membership well before you try and enter, otherwise you might miss out on your entry being accepted by the closing date.
The 23rd is also the first price rise for relay teams. So Club Captains should make sure that they are ready to take advantage of this lower fee for their teams.
7th February 2020
We regret that we have to cancel this year’s TrailO competition at the British Championships. We have made the difficult decision to cancel due to a number of unforeseen problems.
We are aware that this was also a selection race for the European TrailO Championships and are working with the selectors to resolve any problems that this cancellation might cause. They will shortly be in contact with entrants about any implications.
We will be issuing full refunds for the TrailO competition via Fabian4.
31st January 2020
NO OVERNIGHT CAMPERVANS & CAMPING
Unfortunately, we have a change from the previously announced situation regarding overnight camping on site. We no longer have permission for either tents or campervans to stay on-site on Friday or Saturday nights.
29th January 2020
The organising team had a mass visit to the Arena, Car Park & Starts on Sunday 26th January. The heavy rain on the day provided a good test of the Arena & Car Park field, which passed with flying colours, remaining remarkably firm and 'dry' throughout. And there's a tarmaced approach road as well.
A major point of discussion was how to ensure that the Hollycombe railways tracks arent a trip hazard on the run-in!